IN TRAINING (IT)
1. Incumbent is required, by nature of duty, to perform work tasks with explosive
devices while under direct supervision of a certified team leader (TL) or
2. Incumbent is receiving training on newly introduced explosive devices for
which inert training devices are not available.
3. Incumbent shall not work with explosives unless supervised by TL or I.
4. This level of certification is temporary until such time full qualification
justifies certification at a higher level, for example, TM, or I.
TEAM MEMBER (TM)
BASIC QUALIFICATION. Personnel are aware of basic safety precautions
relative to the work task and explosive devices concerned, have received
formal and/or on-the-job training, and have been recommended by their
immediate supervisor. May not work with ordnance unless supervised by TL or
NOTE: TM-certified personnel will perform in team concept only under
supervision of a certified TL.
1. Same as for team member (TM) above.
2. Has sufficient knowledge and has demonstrated the proficiency of the work
task alone, or trains others in safe and reliable operations.
3. Capable of interpreting the requirements, applicable checklists, SOP, and
TEAM LEADER (TL)
1. Same as TM and I above.
2. Has sufficient knowledge and has demonstrated the proficiency to direct the
performance or training of others, in safe and reliable operations.
1. Same as I or TL above.
2. Must have detailed knowledge and ability to train others in applicable
explosive device/systems inspection criteria and be able to decide that the
necessary assembly or installation procedures have been completed per
NOTE: Only TM, I, TL, and QA are interrelated. Certification at the QA level
automatically assumes the individual has all knowledge and skill levels required
of the TM, I, and TL member.
1. Must have sufficient knowledge of safety procedures and the functioning of
safety devices to decide subsequent reaction when safety procedures or
devices are not properly used
2. Certification at the SO level does not require prior certification at any other
NOTE: The certification level is not restricted to the most senior within a unit. A
junior who possesses the foregoing standards and demonstrated maturity may
likewise be certified.
Table 5-1.Qualification Levels and Minimum Standards for Certification