1-50. During the acquisition and tracking phase, a
fire control radar director is aligned with the
search radars target position. Which of the
following radar systems should be used as the
fire control radar in this process?
1. SPY 1 Series
2. SPS 48E
3. SPS 52C
1-51. Although fire-control radar is more accurate,
initial detection of a target is done with search
radar. Which of the characteristics listed
below enable(s) search radar to initially detect
1. Narrow beam width
2. Wide beam width
3. Long-range 360 degree coverage
4. Both 2 and 3 above
1-52. Which system below is a search radar that an
FC might work with in todays Navy?
1-53. What is the function of the 25-degree tilt in the
AN/SPS-52 radar antenna?
1. It provides access for preventive
2. It enables four modes of operation
3. It enables solar alignment
4. It provides high-elevation coverage
1-54. The AN/SPS-48E radar is a long-range, three-
dimensional radar that FCs work with. How
does this radar provide contact range, height,
and bearing information?
1. By using D/E band frequency scanning
2. By using E/H band short-dwell time
3. By using E/F band frequency scanning
4. By using D/E band short-dwell time
1-55. Which of the following modes is NOT an
SPS-48 radar mode?
1. Equal Angle Coverage
2. Maximum Frequency Management
3. Maximum Energy Management
4. Adaptive Energy Management
1-56. The AN/SPS-48 radar is found on what type(s)
1. NIMITZ class carriers
2. LCC class amphibious ships
3. ENTERPRISE class carriers
4. All of the above
1-57. Fire-control radar is normally part of larger
systems. Which of the following systems are
larger gun or missile systems that are
associated with fire-control radar?
1-58. Which of the following systems is/are found
on board the USS Paul Hamilton?
1. SPY-1 radar system
2. Mk 99 MFCS
3. Mk 86 GFCS
4. All of the above
1-59. The Mk 7 Aegis FCS is found on board
ARLEIGH BURKE class destroyers and
TICONDEROGA class cruisers. Which of the
following radar systems should you find on
board one of these ships?
3. Mk 92
1-60. What radar system is the heart of the AEGIS
2. AN/SPY-1 radar
1-61. In reference to figure 2-6, which of the
following is NOT a weapon or sensor found
on an AEGIS class cruiser?
1. AN/SPS-49 radar
2. Mk 41 vertical launching tubes
3. AN/SPS-40E radar
4. AN/SPG-62 illuminators