3-41. Bearings are generally classified in
which of the following ways?
1. Rotating or stationary
2. Stationary surface or rotating
3. Sliding surface or rolling contact
4. Hard or soft
3-42. Which of the following devices are
used to prevent the leaking of steam
out of or air into the turbine casing
where the turbine rotor shaft extends
through the turbine casing?
1. Rubber gaskets
3. Steam deflectors
4. Shaft packing glands
3-43. Carbon packing rings mount around the
turbine shaft and are held in place by
which of the following devices?
3-44. Normally, what does the term
superheat control boiler identify?
1. A single-furnace boiler
2. A double-furnace boiler
3. An auxiliary boiler
4. A natural-circulation boiler
The bottom blowdown valves should
never be opened on a steaming boiler
for which of the following reasons?
1. The circulation of the steam cycle
will be interrupted
2. The insulating firebrick will be
3. The baffle material will warp
4. The air casing will crack
At each end of the steam drum are a
number of large tubes that lead to
the water drum and sidewall header.
What are these tubes called?
1. Sidewall tubes
2. Generating tubes
3. Bottom blow tubes
The sidewall (water wall) tubes in a
boiler serve what function?
1. They heat the side wall of the
2. They cool and protect the aide
wall of the furnace
3. They cool and protect the soot
4. They heat the plastic chrome ore
The cyclone steam separators remove
moisture from the steam,
how is this
3-45. The steam drum is a cylinder located
1. By the steam flowing in a straight
at what boiler position?
2. By an internal fan or blower
1. At the top of the boiler
3. By the up and down movement of the
2. At the bottom of the boiler
3. On the left side of the boiler
4. By the steam spinning or changing
4. On the right side of the boiler
3-46. How are headers on a boiler
3-51. In some boilers, the superheater
headers are installed parallel with
the water drum and the tubes are
1. By their shape
installed vertically, What are these
2. By their size
3. By their location
4. By their color
1. Parallel superheaters
2. Horizontal superheaters
3. Vertical superheater
4. Modified superheaters